|Published:||Nov 02, 2010 7:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 02, 2010 4:42 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida mother will serve 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to fatally stabbing her 3-year-old son in a 2006 homicide.
Danqiong Yang had been charged with first-degree murder, but the 37-year-old pleaded guilty Monday to a lesser charge of aggravated manslaughter of a child under 18. Yang will likely be deported to her native China after serving her sentence.
Police found her son, Alexander Ma, in bed lying in a pool of blood. Police said Yang called 911 and told the operator she had stabbed the baby, and there was blood on her.
Miami-Dade Assistant Public Defender Edith Georgi planned to argue Yang was insane at the time of the crime and suffering from severe postpartum depression. But he said the stress of going to trial was too much.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone