|Published:||Nov 02, 2010 10:57 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 01, 2010 7:58 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - During the month of November, WINK News Now This Morning will bring you "Common Cents" tips for holiday survival. Thanksgiving is only weeks away and we found some tips for making a satisfying meal without stretching your budget.
First, start looking for your turkey or ham a few months in advance if possible. Ham can be found for 99 cents a pound and turkey as low as 49 cents a pound in July or August. Just freeze the meat when you find a good deal.
Second, cut down on the number of dishes you serve. The more dishes you have, the more money you will spend. Include your favorites but cut the not so popular items or unnecessary extras.
Third, if you don't want to leave anything out, then just make less. There's always Thanksgiving leftovers because we make too much food.
Finally, clip those coupons. Coupons.com and Smartsource.com are great resources.
If you won't be able to make your family a Thanksgiving meal, reach out to local churches and charity organizations. If you know of a local organization that is helping families this holiday season, please leave a comment.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41