|Published:||Nov 01, 2010 3:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 01, 2010 12:57 PM EDT|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A woman is dead and a child in critical condition after being struck by a train.
The incident happened Sunday morning in Daytona Beach.
Authorities say the woman and child were about 30 yards north of a railroad crossing. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, and the child suffered fractures to the left side of the body.
The child was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center in critical condition.
Neither the woman nor the child have been identified.
Witnesses reported seeing the woman walk along the tracks with the child before being hit. One said she was arguing with a man when the train approached and jumped across the tracks to grab the child.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting