|Published:||Oct 30, 2010 10:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 30, 2010 7:56 PM EDT|
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Authorities say they have charged a truck driver whose rig smashed into a tractor mowing the median of Interstate 95 with a misdemeanor.
Troopers told The Fayetteville Observer on Friday that 65-year-old Luis Valdes, of Lehigh Acres, Fla., is charged misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.
Investigators say the tractor-trailer scraped two parked vehicles warning about a lane closed to protect workers ahead, then smashed into the mower near exit 58 on Wednesday.
Authorities say 47-year-old John McLean of Erwin was killed. He was one of several family members working for a company with a contract to cut grass for the state Department of Transportation.
A phone listing for Valdes could not be found.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU
- SUV sinks into hole in Cape Coral construction project
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Indictment accuses SWFL residents of human smuggling