|Published:||Oct 27, 2010 10:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 27, 2010 7:49 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Richard Elkins decided not to take the stand in his own murder trial. He's accused of raping Obed Flores in 2007 and then beating him to death with a shovel.
Wednesday a jury heard a taped confession where he told deputies he remembers hitting Flores several times with a garden shovel. It all happened in a Bonita Springs shopping center.
A forensic psychiatrist testified Elkins was on several strong prescription drugs and marijuana while he was being questioned. Elkins' lawyers argue he was coerced into admitting he murdered Flores.
The defense team is trying to pin the murder on Elkins' roommate and coworker Christopher Maner who is now spending 8 years behind bars for his role in the crime. He took a plea deal.
Closing arguments begin tomorrow morning. The jury will then begin deliberating.
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Garrod Drywall burglary suspect blacks out cameras
- Couple killed while crossing US 1 in central Fla.
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week