|Published:||Oct 26, 2010 5:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 26, 2010 2:03 PM EDT|
KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - A Florida Keys man has been sentenced to nearly two years in jail for possessing nearly 300 undersized lobsters.
Monroe County Judge Ruth Becker also stripped 50-year-old Angel Cancio of Big Pine Key of his commercial fishing license for three years after his release.
It took a jury about an hour Monday to convict Cancio of possessing 277 undersized wrung lobster tails while fishing with his 28-year-old son near No Name Key in September 2009. State wildlife officers said the men threw a box containing the lobsters into the water and tried to flee when confronted by authorities.
Cancio's son is serving an 18-month sentence at the Monroe County Detention Center on Stock Island, where Cancio also will be imprisoned.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft