|Published:||Oct 26, 2010 4:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 26, 2010 1:58 PM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A newborn baby is dead after being attacked by a pit bull in Jacksonville.
Police say they were called to the baby's home about a dog attack late Sunday.
The newborn died at a hospital. Authorities have not released the baby's name.
Department of Children and Families spokesman John Harrell tells The Florida Times-Union that the state agency is working with police to investigate whether the baby was being supervised and whether the dog previously showed aggressive behavior.
City animal control officials tell WJXT-TV that the young dog has been euthanized.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft