|Published:||Oct 24, 2010 8:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 24, 2010 5:57 PM EDT|
WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (AP) - The Polk County Sheriff's Office says two deputies shot and killed a man who pointed a gun at them while responding to a domestic disturbance.
Deputies were dispatched to a Winter Haven church on Saturday.
According to authorities, Rebecca Lawson said her boyfriend had been drinking and threw all her belongings into a pool. She said they had been arguing, but he had not physically harmed her.
Deputies went to Thomas C. Steidley's home and greeted him at the front door. Investigators say Steidley pointed a gun at them and refused their commands to put it down.
Authorities say the deputies then shot and fired at Steidley to protect themselves. Investigators determined Thomas fired at deputies during the fight.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- 'Dunk City' could host 2014 gubernatorial debate
- Man catches dog thief in the act