|Published:||Oct 22, 2010 4:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 22, 2010 1:02 PM EDT|
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. - Charlotte County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit detectives arrested an Englewood East man on sex charges involving a 15 year old girl. DNA was responsible for the arrest of Jimmy Sabja, 36, who was charged with Sexual Battery When the Victim was Helpless, and Lewd and Lascivious Battery.
MCU detectives responded to Englewood Community Hospital Aug. 1 when the girl was brought in saying she was sexually assaulted by a man known to her as “Jimmy.” Detectives said the girl was at a friend’s home for a party and they had been drinking alcoholic beverages. She said she does not clearly remember details of what happened and advised she may have been drugged. Detectives learned the party was at Sabja’s home.
The girl told detectives she fell asleep on a couch and the next thing she remembered was Sabja performing sexual acts on her. On Aug. 2, a search warrant was granted by a judge to obtain two buccal swabs from Sabja; he consented and the swabs were sent to FDLE. Wednesday, detectives received results back and the FDLE lab report confirmed a positive match for Sabja’s DNA profile that matched DNA from the 15 year old girl. Sabja was arrested Thursday and booked into the Charlotte County Jail where he remains on no bond.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral