|Published:||Oct 21, 2010 3:47 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 21, 2010 12:47 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A southwest Florida driver has been charged with hitting and killing a bicyclist then leaving the scene.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputies arrested 29-year-old Shawn Burton on Tuesday. Deputy Larry McKinnon said a friend lent Burton his SUV, a Ford Explorer, and wondered why it was damaged when Burton returned it. Burton said he struck a deer. The owner became suspicious after hearing news reports about the hit and run and called authorities.
Deputies said 30-year-old Ishizuka Kayoko was riding her bike last month when Burton struck her from behind.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Deadly accident in Fort Myers
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one