|Published:||Oct 20, 2010 12:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 20, 2010 8:44 AM EDT|
SAN DIEGO (AP) - At least three service members discharged for being gay have begun a re-enlistment process while gay rights
groups continue to tell service members to avoid revealing that they are gay.
It all stems from a judge's refusal to stay her ban on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
The decision will be appealed but the Pentagon has directed the military to accept openly gay recruits for the first time in the nation's history.
The top-level guidance issued to recruiting commands yesterday marked a significant change in an institution long resistant and sometimes hostile to gays.
Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith says recruiters have been told to inform potential recruits that the moratorium on enforcement could be reversed at any time, if the ruling is appealed or the court grants a stay.
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge