|Published:||Oct 15, 2010 3:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 15, 2010 12:26 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Incoming Florida Senate President Mike Haridopolos has called for the state's top building official to resign over what critics are calling a "Taj Mahal" courthouse.
In a letter Thursday to Department of Management Services Secretary Linda South, the Merritt Island Republican accused her of "irresponsible oversight" that wasted millions of dollars.
Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink this week released an audit she said showed the $48.8 million Tallahassee courthouse could have been built for much less.
South's spokeswoman responded to Haridopolos by pointing out the secretary works for Gov. Charlie Crist, not the Senate, and that the building was constructed within a budget set by Haridolpolos and his fellow lawmakers.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Lehigh Middle student allegedly brings knife to school
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB