|Published:||Oct 14, 2010 9:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2010 6:28 PM EDT|
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A 17-year-old neighbor has been charged with shooting a 12-year-old Deerfield Beach boy in the face earlier this week.
The Broward Sheriff's Office announced Thursday that the teen, who was not identified, had been charged with attempted manslaughter. Deputies reportedly found a cache of weapons in teen's room.
Officials say the victim, Anthony Alejandre, was at the teen's home Monday when the shooting occurred. The bullet went through his right cheek, severed his spinal cord and exited through his neck. He remains hospitalized.
Authorities say the 17-year-old changed his story several times, initially claiming that Alejandre accidentally shot himself.
Investigators say the wound does not appear to be self-inflicted.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present