|Published:||Oct 14, 2010 9:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2010 6:28 PM EDT|
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A 17-year-old neighbor has been charged with shooting a 12-year-old Deerfield Beach boy in the face earlier this week.
The Broward Sheriff's Office announced Thursday that the teen, who was not identified, had been charged with attempted manslaughter. Deputies reportedly found a cache of weapons in teen's room.
Officials say the victim, Anthony Alejandre, was at the teen's home Monday when the shooting occurred. The bullet went through his right cheek, severed his spinal cord and exited through his neck. He remains hospitalized.
Authorities say the 17-year-old changed his story several times, initially claiming that Alejandre accidentally shot himself.
Investigators say the wound does not appear to be self-inflicted.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms
- Fla. could increase private school vouchers
- Man gets life for fatally shooting ex-girlfriend
- Ukraine throws wrench into Obama vacation plan