|Published:||Oct 14, 2010 4:32 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2010 1:33 PM EDT|
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says an off-duty detective arrested a wanted sex offender after spotting him while shopping at a Publix supermarket.
Detective John Grubb was at the supermarket in Dunedin Wednesday when authorities say he saw Thomas Hook walking around the aisles with a sheriff's deputy star clipped to his waistband.
Grubb followed Hook and stopped him when he allegedly tried to leave the store without paying for his items, including children's sticker books and Halloween candy.
Investigators say they found a stun-gun, an Airsoft handgun, personal dating advertisements, and ads placed on Craigslist by women looking for a male roommate in Hook's car.
Hook was charged with unlawful use of a police badge, among other charges.
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in suspicious North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- USDA predicts smaller citrus crop in Florida