|Published:||Oct 14, 2010 4:32 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2010 1:33 PM EDT|
DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says an off-duty detective arrested a wanted sex offender after spotting him while shopping at a Publix supermarket.
Detective John Grubb was at the supermarket in Dunedin Wednesday when authorities say he saw Thomas Hook walking around the aisles with a sheriff's deputy star clipped to his waistband.
Grubb followed Hook and stopped him when he allegedly tried to leave the store without paying for his items, including children's sticker books and Halloween candy.
Investigators say they found a stun-gun, an Airsoft handgun, personal dating advertisements, and ads placed on Craigslist by women looking for a male roommate in Hook's car.
Hook was charged with unlawful use of a police badge, among other charges.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Police video of Bieber's urine test released
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer