MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - Mobile residents got a jolt Wednesday morning when a fighter jet flying out of a Florida military base caused a sonic boom.
Eglin Air Force Base spokeswoman Ashley Wright says the Royal Canadian Navy CF-18 took off on a test flight from the base in the Florida panhandle. She said the flight was scheduled to take place from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the airspace over Mobile and Baldwin counties.
Baldwin County emergency officials reported getting several calls from residents concerned over the loud noise shortly after 8 a.m.
- Confusion leads to heavy police activity at Bernwood Cove
- CCSO seeks IDs of persons of interest in burglary case
- Teen fights off suspect accused of holding a gun to her head
- Woman accused of faking sons' deaths won't face jail time
- Group protests taxes in Cape Coral by a 'Call to Arms'
- Students slime principal for 1 million minutes of reading
- Miami man catches longest Burmese python captured in Fla.
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- Jungle Golf fundraiser putts for patriots
- Baby found, father charged in South Fla.