|Published:||Oct 11, 2010 3:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 11, 2010 12:51 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Divers were dispatched to retrieve a suspected stowaway from the waters near the Port of Tampa.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Lt. Larry McKinnon says U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents were searching a commercial barge Saturday when they found three men who were not part of the ship's crew.
A fourth man jumped overboard into Tampa Bay as the agents continued searching the barge.
McKinnon says sheriff's divers later found the man swimming in the water and hiding near the docks. Federal authorities took the man into custody.
Federal authorities say the ship arrived Saturday from the Turks and Caicos Islands. The nationality of the four men detained by customs agents was not released.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest