|Published:||Oct 10, 2010 8:23 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 10, 2010 5:23 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - There's a new killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando.
A 34-year-old killer whale named Katina gave birth Saturday night to her seventh calf.
Park officials say the baby is 7 feet long and weighs 350 pounds. It's the 16th born at SeaWorld Orlando.
Park spokesman Nick Gollattscheck says the sex of the calf won't be known for some time. Veterinarians are monitoring the whales to make sure both are healthy.
The calf's birth is good news for the Orlando theme park. Necropsy results are pending for the first of Katina's calves, Kalina, which died suddenly at age 25 on Monday.
The new calf's father is Tilikum, a 12,000-pound whale that drowned a SeaWorld trainer in February.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim