|Published:||Oct 08, 2010 3:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 08, 2010 12:29 PM EDT|
GULF BREEZE, Fla. (AP) - A Panhandle man on a cross-country bike ride to raise awareness and funds for victims of this year's massive Gulf oil spill has been struck and killed by a passing vehicle.
Roger Grooters began his ride across America Sept. 10 in Oceanside, Calif. The 66-year-old man's family tells the Pensacola News Journal that he was just days from finishing his 3,200-mile journey when he was hit by a truck outside of Panama City on Wednesday morning.
Funeral services are planned for Monday in Gulf Breeze near Pensacola Beach.
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- USPS to deliver mail in SWFL on certain Sundays
- Naples based St. Matthew's House expanding to Labelle
- Corrections officer accused of stealing inmate IDs