|Published:||Oct 07, 2010 7:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 07, 2010 4:55 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Police have identified the agent with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) who was injured in a shooting after a traffic stop in Miami.
Police say Guy Gilbert is listed in stable condition in the hospital. Miami-Dade Police and the DEP released his identity Thursday.
Police say Gilbert was injured during a traffic stop Wednesday on the busy U.S. 1 Highway. A "physical encounter ensued" with 34-year-old Ariel Alvarez and a firearm was discharged striking the officer on both hands. A Taser was used on Alvarez to place him into custody.
Authorities have not released further details about the altercation or said who fired the shot.
Charges are pending as the investigation continues.
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Lee deputies investigating shooting on Bokeelia