|Published:||Oct 07, 2010 3:46 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 07, 2010 12:46 PM EDT|
VIENNA (AP) - An Austrian undercover police officer has pleaded not guilty to assaulting an American teacher from Florida after mistaking him for an African drug dealer at a subway station in Vienna.
But his lawyer Bernd Gahler acknowledged that he made mistakes and used force during the Feb. 11, 2009, incident that injured Mike Brennan, a former football player from Jacksonville, Fla.
Thursday's court proceedings follow a previous trial in June that ended with the judge saying the matter was too serious to be handled by her court.
It was unclear when a verdict would be issued. If convicted, the police officer - who cannot be identified under Austrian law - faces up to three years in prison.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers