|Published:||Oct 07, 2010 3:46 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 07, 2010 12:46 PM EDT|
VIENNA (AP) - An Austrian undercover police officer has pleaded not guilty to assaulting an American teacher from Florida after mistaking him for an African drug dealer at a subway station in Vienna.
But his lawyer Bernd Gahler acknowledged that he made mistakes and used force during the Feb. 11, 2009, incident that injured Mike Brennan, a former football player from Jacksonville, Fla.
Thursday's court proceedings follow a previous trial in June that ended with the judge saying the matter was too serious to be handled by her court.
It was unclear when a verdict would be issued. If convicted, the police officer - who cannot be identified under Austrian law - faces up to three years in prison.
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres