|Published:||Oct 05, 2010 3:33 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 05, 2010 12:33 PM EDT|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - A couple and their two young children told St. Petersburg Police that masked and armed men held them hostage for about five hours.
Police said the Monday morning incident began when the woman who lives in the home was confronted by three masked men. They forced her back inside the home at gunpoint and woke up everyone else.
The ordeal ended when the father dived through a window in a bid to escape their captors. The men opened fire on him, striking him once in the upper torso. Police said he did not suffer life-threatening injuries.
Police said they don't know what the men were looking for, what demands they made of the family or why they held the family hostage. The incident is under investigation.
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Salvation Army of Collier short on donations and volunteers
- Residents are still homeless after a devastating Sept. fire
- Nate Lee continues to fight for 911 call system improvements
- Healthpark Medical Center adding 9 extra beds for season