|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 5:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 1:09 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Helping young people navigate social networks and texting requires a rational head and an engaged parent. Dr. Annette MacKoul brings us helpful information and tips. 22% of children ages 6 -9 own a cell phone. Dr. MacKoul advises for parents to text with them, be interested in text topics and contacts, discuss bullying and problem-solve.
Think, then send. Advise children not to type anything they wouldn't say to someone face to face. Face your own fear. Fear is causing kids not to report because some parents over-react. Get involved! Help your children negotiate difficult situations.
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- State Board of Education to get legislative update