|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 5:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 1:09 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Helping young people navigate social networks and texting requires a rational head and an engaged parent. Dr. Annette MacKoul brings us helpful information and tips. 22% of children ages 6 -9 own a cell phone. Dr. MacKoul advises for parents to text with them, be interested in text topics and contacts, discuss bullying and problem-solve.
Think, then send. Advise children not to type anything they wouldn't say to someone face to face. Face your own fear. Fear is causing kids not to report because some parents over-react. Get involved! Help your children negotiate difficult situations.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation