|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 7:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 4:26 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - The Collier County Health Department is offering flu and pneumonia vaccines at conveniently located churches and community centers throughout the county.
For a specific schedule of the clinics, see attached, call the flu hotline at 252-8212 or go to www.CollierHealthDept.org.
Cost for flu vaccine is $25 and pneumonia vaccine is $45. Medicare (Part B and Advantage plans) and private insurance will be accepted if card is presented.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommends, in general, anyone 6 months of age and older who wants to reduce their chances of getting the flu should get vaccinated. The list below identifies those individuals for which flu vaccine is especially recommended because they are at highest risk of suffering complications from should they become ill with the flu:
- aged 6 months through 4 years (59 months)
- aged ≥50 years
- have chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (except hypertension), renal, hepatic, neurologic, hematologic, or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus)
- are immunosuppressed (including immunosuppression caused by medications or by human immunodeficiency virus)
- are or will be pregnant during the influenza season
- aged 6 months to 18 years and receiving long-term aspirin therapy and who therefore might be at risk for experiencing Reye Syndrome after influenza virus infection
- residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities
- American Indians/Alaskan Natives
- morbidly obese (body-mass index ≥40)
- healthcare personnel
- household contacts and caregivers of children aged < 5 years and adults aged ≥50 years, with particular emphasis on vaccinating contacts of children aged<6 months
- household contacts and caregivers of persons with medical conditions that put them at higher risk for severe complications from influenza.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday