|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 2:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 11:52 AM EDT|
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - A Pensacola man was killed and an Escambia County deputy was wounded during a gunfight at an apparent motel room meth lab.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement reports that 21-year-old Michael Scott Lee was killed, and Deputy Jason Ates was shot in the upper thigh at a Motel 6 Wednesday morning.
Ates and another deputy were at the motel looking for Eric James Sherbutt after a family member reported concerns for his safety. A debit card purchase led authorities to the motel.
The deputies went to Sherbutt's room, where they found him, Lee and an unidentified woman. The deputies called for backup a few minutes later. It wasn't immediately clear who shot Lee or Ates.
No charges were immediately filed against Sherbutt or the woman.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend