|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 3:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 12:17 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Consumer Reports has the list of the best burgers in the nation.
"They're juicy and they're delicious," said one burger eater.
"It tastes like the old-fashioned-type burger from when I was a kid."
"It's a fresher burger. It looks more like something that was homemade."
They're talking about the burgers being flipped at Five Guys. It's one of 18 fast-food restaurants covered in Consumer Reports' survey designed to find the best burgers.
"We asked 28,000 online subscribers to tell us about the hamburgers they'd eaten at fast-food restaurants recently. Restaurants like McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's. And some of the big names did not do that well."
Rated on a scale of one to ten, McDonald's was at the very bottom of the ratings and while Burger King fared a little bit better, it had some of the lower-rated burgers.
"It turned out people really preferred burgers from some of the lesser-known chains," said Consumer Reports' Tod Marks.
And these people knew what they were talking about. Five Guys burger was a standout in the survey.
And Consumer Reports' Tod Marks did his own informal taste-off of a burger from Five Guys and one from McDonald's.
"The Five Guys burger was juicy, with a nice beefy flavor. And best of all, you can get up to 15 toppings at no additional cost. By comparison, the McDonald's hamburger and bun were bland. Most of the flavor didn't come from the meat itself. It came from the toppings. And it's kind of puny," said Marks.
But be aware, you'll pay a few more dollars for burgers at Five Guys than you'd pay at McDonald's.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students