|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 11:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 7:57 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Piles of trash, human and animal waste! Residents of a Fort Myers neighborhood say they were shocked to learn that a child was living at a house... in filth.
A neighbor says, "I didn't know that a youngin was living there."
This neighbor says something wasn't right when she saw two young men taking items out of the house.
"Honey, if you've seen it enough times you'll know, they're burglarizing it."
She called another neighbor, who called 911.
"The police arrived, very very quickly."
Deputies didn't find the burglars, but they say they found a scared young girl. Neighbors estimate her to be around 9 yrs old. Reports show the girl had a bad case of head lice and was alone. The girl told deputies she didn't know where her mother was.
Deputies say they found maggots, rabbits, and pet rats. They say The girl's mother, Michelle Shipley, eventually came home, but denied having a child. She was arrested. We talked to the woman off camera who owns the home and rented it out.
We ask,"Did you have any idea the home looked like that?" The homeowner told us, "No, no idea."
She says she's in shock, but defends Shipley.
"Michelle told me that she was a christian, and I believe she was, and is, and I feel sorry for Michelle."
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble