|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 11:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2010 7:57 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Piles of trash, human and animal waste! Residents of a Fort Myers neighborhood say they were shocked to learn that a child was living at a house... in filth.
A neighbor says, "I didn't know that a youngin was living there."
This neighbor says something wasn't right when she saw two young men taking items out of the house.
"Honey, if you've seen it enough times you'll know, they're burglarizing it."
She called another neighbor, who called 911.
"The police arrived, very very quickly."
Deputies didn't find the burglars, but they say they found a scared young girl. Neighbors estimate her to be around 9 yrs old. Reports show the girl had a bad case of head lice and was alone. The girl told deputies she didn't know where her mother was.
Deputies say they found maggots, rabbits, and pet rats. They say The girl's mother, Michelle Shipley, eventually came home, but denied having a child. She was arrested. We talked to the woman off camera who owns the home and rented it out.
We ask,"Did you have any idea the home looked like that?" The homeowner told us, "No, no idea."
She says she's in shock, but defends Shipley.
"Michelle told me that she was a christian, and I believe she was, and is, and I feel sorry for Michelle."
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- New anti-fraud group forms in Collier County