|Published:||Sep 30, 2010 1:18 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 29, 2010 10:18 PM EDT|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - Record high unemployment rates have thousands of people looking for any job they can get.
But a Punta Gorda man says his new job turned into a nightmare.
Now, 20-year-old Shawn Dano is on the job hunt again.
"I've been looking for a job for eight months now," Dano tells WINK News.
He thought he'd found a good gig after a Craigslist search turned up a job with a local Jani-King cleaning franchise.
"They said they'd give me a one day trial period," Dano says. "That worked out, so I started working every single night."
He spent nearly two months cleaning restaurants, but says he never saw a dime.
His paychecks from franchise owner Arlex Hernandez of Lehigh Acres bounced, and now he's out of a job and $732.
We contacted the main Jani-King office in Fort Myers and spoke with the regional director.
He explained how the franchise structure works.
He says customers don't pay the franchisee directly, but instead pay the regional office. The regional office in turn pays the franchisee. He says the responsibility of the franchisee is to comply with policy and procedure and part of that policy is paying employees.
The Jani-King regional office has suspended the agreement with that franchise.
The local Jani-King office says it has tried to rectify the situation, although it is up to the franchisee to make payments to workers. While WINK News was at their office, Jani-King employees tried getting in contact with the franchisee, but with no luck.
For now, Dano will keep looking for another job.
He's hoping to find work soon to support his girlfriend and their baby before the holidays.
"I just want to spend some money for my son," says Dano. "I just wish i could get paid."
We made multiple phone calls to the franchise owner and they were not returned.
Dano, meanwhile, says he's contacted his attorney and will continue to fight for his money.
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Court finds Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15