|Published:||Sep 29, 2010 3:23 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 29, 2010 12:23 PM EDT|
SPRING HILL, Fla. (AP) - A Hernando County man has been arrested and charged with pointing a laser light at a sheriff's office helicopter.
The sheriff's office reports that the helicopter was responding to a call near Weeki Wachee Village the night of Sept. 17 when the pilot was briefly blinded by a green light. The pilot and co-pilot managed to track the source of the light and reported it to deputies on the ground. The deputies went to the Spring Hill home of 23-year-old Louis Carmine Amalfitano and questioned him.
Authorities spent a week trying to determine whether they should charge Amalfitano under federal or state law. They eventually settled on state, and he was picked up on a warrant Monday.
Amalfitano was charged with illegal use of a laser light. He was being held on $500 bail.
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes