|Published:||Sep 28, 2010 3:32 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2010 11:16 PM EDT|
GOLDEN GATE ESTATES, Fla. - A shocking find outside a Golden Gate Estates home. Residents found a black bear lying motionless in a pond.
The veterinarian that worked on the nearly 300 pound bear says he suffered a puncture wound to his lung and several broken ribs.
The injuries were originally thought to come from a gun shot. However, after a closer look, Dr. Jeff Noble believes the bear was struck by a car or truck.
It took nearly three hours on the operating table to close up the wounds, but the bear is not out of the woods yet. His biggest challenge over the next few days will be infection and waking up to a caged environment.
The bear is recuperating at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday