|Published:||Sep 27, 2010 10:43 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2010 1:03 PM EDT|
RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Police say a South Florida man fatally shot his estranged wife and four stepchildren before turning the gun on himself, but he spared his two biological children who were also at the home.
Authorities say seven children were inside the home early Monday when 41-year-old Patrick Dell shot 36-year-old Natasha Whyte-Dell. She and four children were pronounced dead at the scene. All had been shot.
A 15-year-old is being treated at the hospital, but his condition hasn't been released.
Police say the couple's two biological children are with relatives.
Police say a police officer was checking a suspicious vehicle when he heard what sounded like muffled gun shots. When officers approached the home, Dell went outside and shot himself. Dell died at the scene.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Interpreter for deaf at Mandela event called fake
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified