|Published:||Sep 27, 2010 3:56 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2010 12:56 PM EDT|
LARGO, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa-area man being sought in an attempted robbery has been shot and killed by police.
Authorities say 56-year-old Robert Hayes Roll's plot to rob a Walgreens store in Largo on Saturday was foiled, but that he later called 911 to report his attempted crime.
When Largo police offices arrived at his home, they say he claimed he was "armed and loaded" and pointed an object at officers, prompting them to fire on him.
Police say it turns out the man was not holding a weapon, but a wallet.
An investigation into the shooting is underway.
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- Deputies shoot bank robbery suspect who claimed to have bomb
- Hertz plans to open temporary headquarters in Bonita Springs
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- Fla. Attorney General temporarily stops Service Star