|Published:||Sep 27, 2010 11:15 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2010 7:19 PM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - A Good Samaritan comes to the rescue when a wife finds her husband unconscious. That victim tells us he owes his life to the stranger who he says, will be a friend for life.
A day of yard work in the hot sun nearly cost Mark Holladay his life. "I'm not used to the heat down here, and it got away from me," Mark said.
He and his wife, Lauren recently moved from Wisconsin. Mark said he felt weaker and weaker. He said he made it to the front door with enough energy to tap a few times.
"By this time, he had stopped breathing and you can tell when the life has left a person and for a couple of seconds, well, longer than that," Lauren said. "I thought he was dead."
Lauren cried out for help, but said drivers just kept rolling past... except one.
Tim McElwaney just happened to be driving down Edgewater Drive when he heard her screams for help. He drove past, but something inside told him he needed to turn around
"She just said, please don't let my husband die, and I said we're not going to let him go anywhere," Tim said.
He said he performed all the first aid he knew, as they waited for paramedics. "God bless him man, he started to breathe again," Tim said.
Mark apparently suffered heat stroke. "I don't remember what Tim actually did, I just remember this big hulking person over me in this big orange shirt," Mark said. "I firmly believe that if he hadn't been there, I wouldn't be talking to you all."
Not only does Mark say he got a second chance, he says he and his wife got a friend for life. "He's living right now and that is the most important thing," Lauren said. "Today, I am sitting with my husband and I am not planning a funeral."
While Tim says he doesn't want any recognition for doing what he thought was right, Mark plans to take him on a fishing trip to say thank you.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis