|Published:||Sep 24, 2010 1:49 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 24, 2010 10:49 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla- A Fort Myers police officer is charged with domestic violence for an alleged assault on a former girlfriend.
A Spokesperson for FMPD says officer Joseph Martinez is under arrest for domestic battery by strangulation and domestic violence battery. Investigators allege Officer Martinez got into an arguement with his former girlfriend on Wednesday.
The seven year veteran was arrested at police headquarters and taken to the Lee County Jail. The case is being forwarded to prosecutors. Chief Doug Baker says, "this is not the conduct we expect from one of our officers." Martinez is on administrative leave pending the outcome of both the criminal and internal affairs investigation.
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigate trash compactor fire
- It's almost time to 'spring forward'
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Researcher suspended after dolphin moved to pool