|Published:||Sep 21, 2010 4:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 21, 2010 1:06 PM EDT|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Two young Palm Beach County children who tested positive for cocaine are with state welfare officials and their mother has been charged with child neglect.
Authorities say the children were removed from their 34-year-old mother's care and placed in protective custody. Lori Barfield was arrested Sunday and booked into the county jail on a charge of child neglect without great bodily harm. She was released Monday.
A phone message was left Tuesday on a number listed for Barfield. It was not immediately known if she has an attorney.
The Palm Beach Post reported that Barfield took her children to a hospital in June, fearing they had accidentally swallowed Oxycodone pills. Police found "deplorable conditions" in her house, including broken glass and soiled diapers.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean