|Published:||Sep 21, 2010 4:06 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 21, 2010 1:06 PM EDT|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Two young Palm Beach County children who tested positive for cocaine are with state welfare officials and their mother has been charged with child neglect.
Authorities say the children were removed from their 34-year-old mother's care and placed in protective custody. Lori Barfield was arrested Sunday and booked into the county jail on a charge of child neglect without great bodily harm. She was released Monday.
A phone message was left Tuesday on a number listed for Barfield. It was not immediately known if she has an attorney.
The Palm Beach Post reported that Barfield took her children to a hospital in June, fearing they had accidentally swallowed Oxycodone pills. Police found "deplorable conditions" in her house, including broken glass and soiled diapers.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges
- Mote Marine asking people to keep eye out for whale sharks