|Published:||Sep 17, 2010 3:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 17, 2010 12:42 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy is in serious condition in a hospital after a crane collided with her cruiser on a busy Tampa intersection, injuring seven others.
The sheriff's office reports that 51-year-old Deputy Deborah Walker is being treated at St. Joseph's Hospital. The other victims suffered non life-threatening injuries. They have not been identified.
Authorities say a crane's air brakes apparently failed Thursday morning, striking the deputy's cruiser. The cruiser was t-boned, pushing it into oncoming traffic and causing a chain reaction involving two other cars and a Hart Line bus.
Tow trucks had to lift the crane off the top of the cruiser and the deputy was extracted from the car.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community