|Published:||Sep 16, 2010 4:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 16, 2010 1:03 PM EDT|
CUTLER BAY, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida woman has been charged with manslaughter for allegedly providing the handgun her husband used to kill himself.
The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office filed charges Wednesday against 56-year-old Valerie Jenkins. She has pleaded not guilty. Her attorney did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment.
The Miami Herald reports that Jenkins told investigators her husband frequently expressed a desire to die. During an argument in May 2009, she asked her intoxicated husband if he wanted his gun. When he said yes, Jenkins tossed the gun onto a couch next to him.
She told investigators she then heard a single gunshot and found the victim slumped over on the sofa.
Prosecutors say Jenkins demonstrated "reckless disregard for human life."
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Lee deputies investigating shooting on Bokeelia