|Published:||Sep 16, 2010 4:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 16, 2010 1:03 PM EDT|
CUTLER BAY, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida woman has been charged with manslaughter for allegedly providing the handgun her husband used to kill himself.
The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office filed charges Wednesday against 56-year-old Valerie Jenkins. She has pleaded not guilty. Her attorney did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment.
The Miami Herald reports that Jenkins told investigators her husband frequently expressed a desire to die. During an argument in May 2009, she asked her intoxicated husband if he wanted his gun. When he said yes, Jenkins tossed the gun onto a couch next to him.
She told investigators she then heard a single gunshot and found the victim slumped over on the sofa.
Prosecutors say Jenkins demonstrated "reckless disregard for human life."
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti