|Published:||Sep 16, 2010 4:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 16, 2010 1:07 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Incoming Florida House Speaker Dean Cannon has filled the chamber's two most coveted leadership positions outside of his own.
The Winter Park Republican on Wednesday named Rep. Denise Grimsley of Lake Placid as appropriations chairwoman and Gary Aubuchon of Cape Coral to head the Rules Committee.
Both also are Republicans, and their appointments are good only if the GOP keeps its majority as expected at the Nov. 2 election.
Grimsley would be the first woman ever to head the House's budget-writing panel.
Aubuchon's committee sets the House's calendar and he would advise Cannon on parliamentary issues.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis