|Published:||Sep 15, 2010 3:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 15, 2010 12:55 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Danyen Komorek has been named the Florida Highway Patrol's Trooper of the Year for 2010.
Gov. Charlie Crist and the Florida Cabinet honored Komorek on Tuesday for saving a motorist's life in April 2009.
A dispatcher notified her that a van had been spotted going the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Nassau County.
Komorek came upon the vehicle after it had veered off the highway, hit a tree and burst into flames. It came to rest in a ditch filled with about three feet of water.
The trooper pulled the driver out of the burning van. She then administered first aid with help from Donald Horne, a Department of Transportation motor compliance officer, also her fiance.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- Lee school board narrows down superintendent search
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges