|Published:||Sep 15, 2010 3:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 15, 2010 12:55 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Danyen Komorek has been named the Florida Highway Patrol's Trooper of the Year for 2010.
Gov. Charlie Crist and the Florida Cabinet honored Komorek on Tuesday for saving a motorist's life in April 2009.
A dispatcher notified her that a van had been spotted going the wrong way on Interstate 95 in Nassau County.
Komorek came upon the vehicle after it had veered off the highway, hit a tree and burst into flames. It came to rest in a ditch filled with about three feet of water.
The trooper pulled the driver out of the burning van. She then administered first aid with help from Donald Horne, a Department of Transportation motor compliance officer, also her fiance.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples