|Published:||Sep 14, 2010 3:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 14, 2010 12:26 PM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer is apologizing to President Barack Obama for opposing his back-to-school speech last year.
Greer, who resigned in February after allegations of misspending party money, gained national attention last year after saying Obama's plans to address school children was an attempt to indoctrinate them to his socialist agenda.
Greer on Tuesday said he and his children look forward to this year's speech.
Greer said in a text message, "Many within the GOP have racist views and I apologize to the president for my opposition to his speech last year and my efforts to placate the extremists who dominate our party today."
Greer is facing theft and money laundering charges from his time at the party.
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop