|Published:||Sep 13, 2010 5:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 13, 2010 2:41 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A Miami family says a hospital mistakenly circumcised their baby even though they repeatedly told staff they did not want the procedure.
Vera Delgado said she told staff at South Miami Hospital several times that she did not want her baby, Mario Viera, to be circumcised last month. But eight days after his birth and without his mother present, doctors performed the surgery even though he was in intensive care.
A statement from the hospital said the circumcision was "an unfortunate mistake caused by a misread consent form." Hospital staff quickly told the family and have implemented new procedures to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Delgado's attorney says they will file a lawsuit next week.
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island