|Published:||Sep 13, 2010 5:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 13, 2010 2:41 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A Miami family says a hospital mistakenly circumcised their baby even though they repeatedly told staff they did not want the procedure.
Vera Delgado said she told staff at South Miami Hospital several times that she did not want her baby, Mario Viera, to be circumcised last month. But eight days after his birth and without his mother present, doctors performed the surgery even though he was in intensive care.
A statement from the hospital said the circumcision was "an unfortunate mistake caused by a misread consent form." Hospital staff quickly told the family and have implemented new procedures to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Delgado's attorney says they will file a lawsuit next week.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- EXCLUSIVE: Viewers call for change to San Carlos Park road