Published: Sep 09, 2010 7:59 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 09, 2010 5:00 PM EDT

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The two alleged ringleaders in the locker room sexual assault of a Tampa-area middle-school student are going to spend the next five years on adult probation.

Prosecutors said they allowed the boys - now ages 15 and 16 - to plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid a trial that no one wanted.

The victim told police that the four defendants participated in holding him down and penetrating him with a broomstick and hockey stick in May 2009 in the locker room of Walker Middle School during weeks of bullying. The boys were flag-football teammates at the school in Odessa, near Tampa.

The two boys pleaded guilty to third-degree felony battery on Wednesday. The others had already settled their cases with plea agreements and probation.