|Published:||Sep 08, 2010 4:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 08, 2010 1:17 PM EDT|
FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A Panhandle sheriff has demoted his undersheriff after the man requested and received an unusual late-night hearing to secure his son's quick release from jail on a misdemeanor battery warrant.
The Northwest Florida Daily News reported that Walton County Sheriff Mike Adkinson demoted Bill Chapman to major after Chapman arranged the 11 p.m. first-appearance hearing for Greg Chapman earlier this month.
Chapman wrote a letter to sheriff's office employees apologizing for allowing a personal issue to interfere with is judgment.
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel