|Published:||Sep 08, 2010 4:43 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 08, 2010 1:44 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Tropical Storm Igor has formed in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa near the Cape Verde Islands and has top sustained winds of near 40 mph (65 kph).
Forecasters at the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said Wednesday that Igor was moving toward the west near 8 mph (13 kph). The center of the storm is expected to pass south of the Cape Verde Islands by Thursday.
A tropical storm watch has been issued for the southern Cape Verde Islands.
Some slow strengthening is expected over the next two days.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend