|Published:||Sep 08, 2010 10:43 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 08, 2010 2:52 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers Police Department K-9 died in a shootout with a robbery suspect and another was hurt. Officers killed one of the suspects and caught the second after a high speed chase.
It started with an armed robbery reported in progress about 10:30 Tuesday night inside the McDonalds at 2955 Colonial Blvd. Arriving officers could see the suspects and their guns. Both suspects took off when police pulled up.
One of them ran with an officer and his K-9 Roscoe, right behind. Police say the suspect started shooting and hit Roscoe. The officer fired back and the suspect was killed at 4145 Metro Parkway. Roscoe later died on the way to an emergency animal hospital.
The second suspect drove off and hit K-9 Axe leaving the parking lot. Police folllowed in a high speed chase all the way to Lehigh Acres. The suspect crash at SR 82 and Joel Blvd and was taken into custody. Axe is in stable condition.
The robbery remains under investigation. Police have not yet released the names of the suspects. Following standard procedure, the two officers involved in the shooting are on standard adminstrative leave until all the reviews are complete.
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI
- Dr. Nancy Graham sworn in as Lee County Superintendent
- Post-recession reinvention: the pet food business
- Passerby pulls floating 5 year-old from North Naples pond
- Lee County Schools want to spend $180,000 on marketing
- LCEC's portable substation can restore power to thousands
- A young girl is home after a near drowning incident
- Hillsborough County approves incentives for Amazon
- New home industry really coming back?