|Published:||Sep 08, 2010 10:43 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 08, 2010 2:52 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers Police Department K-9 died in a shootout with a robbery suspect and another was hurt. Officers killed one of the suspects and caught the second after a high speed chase.
It started with an armed robbery reported in progress about 10:30 Tuesday night inside the McDonalds at 2955 Colonial Blvd. Arriving officers could see the suspects and their guns. Both suspects took off when police pulled up.
One of them ran with an officer and his K-9 Roscoe, right behind. Police say the suspect started shooting and hit Roscoe. The officer fired back and the suspect was killed at 4145 Metro Parkway. Roscoe later died on the way to an emergency animal hospital.
The second suspect drove off and hit K-9 Axe leaving the parking lot. Police folllowed in a high speed chase all the way to Lehigh Acres. The suspect crash at SR 82 and Joel Blvd and was taken into custody. Axe is in stable condition.
The robbery remains under investigation. Police have not yet released the names of the suspects. Following standard procedure, the two officers involved in the shooting are on standard adminstrative leave until all the reviews are complete.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years