|Published:||Sep 08, 2010 3:56 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 08, 2010 12:56 PM EDT|
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A Hernando County jail inmate has died after having a seizure.
The sheriff's Office reports that jail deputies spotted 37-year-old Edward A. Thomas Monday afternoon suffering from what appeared to be a seizure. A nurse at the facility responded to the inmate's cell, where she found him awake and responsive.
Officials called paramedics after Thomas reportedly began to have trouble breathing. Thomas collapsed as he was leaving his cell to go with paramedics. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced death.
Records show Thomas had been booked into jail Friday for failure to pay court-ordered child support.
An autopsy will determine the cause of death.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds