BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - A snorkeler is recovering from injuries sustained in a hit-and-run boating accident in the waters off of South Inlet Park in Boca Raton.
Police identified the victim as 22-year-old John Deleonibus, who was snorkeling Sunday in about 10-feet deep water when a 25-foot boat with a blue stripe crashed into him and kept going. Deleonibus was taken to Delray Medical Center with serious injuries.
The boat never stopped. Authorities were looking for the boat Monday. Witnesses said several people were on the boat at the time.
It was not known if Deleonibus had been floating a divers-down flag. Such flags are required by state law for divers and snorkelers so others can easily spot them in the water.
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier
- Naples tops 'Healthy Living' poll
- Fl construction adds jobs