|Published:||Sep 07, 2010 7:19 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 07, 2010 4:20 PM EDT|
BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - A snorkeler is recovering from injuries sustained in a hit-and-run boating accident in the waters off of South Inlet Park in Boca Raton.
Police identified the victim as 22-year-old John Deleonibus, who was snorkeling Sunday in about 10-feet deep water when a 25-foot boat with a blue stripe crashed into him and kept going. Deleonibus was taken to Delray Medical Center with serious injuries.
The boat never stopped. Authorities were looking for the boat Monday. Witnesses said several people were on the boat at the time.
It was not known if Deleonibus had been floating a divers-down flag. Such flags are required by state law for divers and snorkelers so others can easily spot them in the water.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico
- E-911 System Out in Charlotte County
- Sports making their way back to Edison State College