|Published:||Sep 04, 2010 8:30 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 04, 2010 5:31 PM EDT|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Two surfers are recovering from a shark bite while swimming along the Volusia County coastline.
Jason Coffman was bitten in the hand while surfing Friday at the jetty at Ponce de Leon Inlet. The 29-year-old says at one point he swung the surf board in front of him to try to pull his hand free from the shark's mouth. And a 24-year-old surfing about 300 yards from the south jetty was bitten on his left thigh.
Despite the two reported attacks, Volusia County could have its fewest number of shark bites in seven years. The area had earned a reputation as "shark bite capital of the world."
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend