|Published:||Sep 03, 2010 11:14 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2010 8:14 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - It's the start of a long weekend and many people will be hitting the roads this Labor Day weekend. If all your summer fun depleted your travel funds, WINK News has gathered some ideas for road trip savings.
If you think it's too late to get away, think again! Plenty of great deals are still out there to be found if you book a room now for this weekend.
You can take a road trip to Orlando. The Disney Regal Sun is offering deals as low as $55 a night.
To get the best deal on a room, check rates online first. Then, call and ask for the unpublished rate. Typical savings by phone can be 10 to 25% lower than the lowest online rate. Also, take advantage of any discounts offered by membership groups like AAA or AARP.
Consider coupons because they could save you serious cash on last minute deals.
Use smart phone apps as well. No matter what kind of device you use, smart phone applications can be a big, money-saving help on the road and at your final destination. Finally, avoid ATM fees. A little advanced planning could help you to skip out-of-network ATM fees when you withdraw cash on the road.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach