|Published:||Sep 01, 2010 3:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 01, 2010 12:57 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally shooting one man and injuring two others outside an Orlando nightclub.
An Orange County judge sentenced 27-year-old Xavier Ortiz-Reyes Tuesday. He was convicted Aug. 19 of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Authorities say Ortiz-Reyes and his friends got into a series of fights with another group outside the Roxy Nightclub one night in January 2008. Witnesses say Ortiz-Reyes went to the other group saying he wanted to talk to them and stop the fighting. He got into a car to talk with the other men, but when he got out, he fired shots into the vehicle, killing 25-year-old Omar Nunez and wounding two others.
Ortiz-Reyes testified that he fired in self-defense.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis