|Published:||Aug 31, 2010 6:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 31, 2010 3:10 PM EDT|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. - The Bonita Springs Fire Control and Rescue District's Legal Counsel has sent a letter to Robert Sharkey, candidate for Fire Board Seat #1, demanding a public retraction of comments made in emails dated August 22, 2010.
In these emails, which were widely distributed within the Bonita Springs community, Mr. Sharkey falsely accused the Fire Board of approving funding for Fire Commissioner Ed FitzGerald to attend an executive management class at Harvard in 2008. He also accused the Fire Board of approving funding for Commissioner FitzGerald, Fire Chief Phil Kinsey and Assistant Fire Chief Ken Craft to attend an international fire prevention conference in Paris, France. There was never any discussion regarding a trip to Paris. Each of these statements is false and reckless, and defamatory.
Fire Commissioner FitzGerald, who is running for his current Fire Board Seat #1, has also filed an official complaint with the FL Elections Commission.
The letter from Fire District's Legal Counsel, copies of the emails from Mr. Sharkey and the minutes from the Fire Board meeting discussing Mr. FitzGerald's request to attend the class at Harvard are available from the Fire District on request.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.